In small groups, students will review the case of a fictional client with a co-occurring disorder. Students will offer their diagnoses of the client using DSM-5 criteria, indicate the client’s stage of change using Prochaska and DiClemente’s Transtheoretical Model of Change, and offer which stage of Integrated Dual Diagnosis Treatment (IDDT) best fits the client’s symptoms and situation.
Note: This reading from Case Western Reserve might be helpful to you. I am sharing it here and it is not required http://www.easacommunity.org/Toolkit/IDDT%20Implementation%20Guide.pdf
- Structure your paper with these headings in bold. Make sure to cover the content under each bullet point.
- Presenting Problem and Background Information
- The client’s identifying information
- The current presenting problem as seen by the client
- The current presenting problem as seen by others
- The client’s presenting concerns
- Previous medical history
- Previous criminal history
- Diagnostic Rational
- List the diagnostic criteria in DSM 5 formatting. Make sure you have a mental health and substance use diagnosis listed.
- Clearly uses the DSM-5 criteria and discuss each and every criterion in the diagnosis to justify each diagnosis.
- Make sure to provide a clear connection between the diagnosis offered and the symptoms and situation discussed.
- Provides a strong and professional level rationale for your diagnostic impressions based on the signs and symptoms described in the case.
- Identification of Stages of Change
- Provide details to the level of the client’s motivation for change. Discuss what evidence supports this.
- How does the presenting problem contribute to where the client is on DiClemente’s Transtheoretical Model of Change?
- Identification of Stage IDDT – Here is a LINK (Links to an external site.)that will help you understand the correlation between the stages of change and IDDT. Start on pg. 28 (although the entire booklet is good. Keep in mind it was written in 2012 so it was written prior to the DSM 5).
- Provide details of where the client is at in their stage of treatment using IDDT and how this correlates with their stage of change. Discuss what evidence supports this.
- Discuss the client’s readiness to address their substance use and relationship with their clinician. Using evidence to support this.
- Treatment Recommendations
- Recommend a minimum of two evidence-based peer-reviewed articles. Make sure to take into account where the client’s motivation and readiness for change is. Make sure to cite in APA version 7.
- Overall paper:
- The paper adheres to the strength and inherent dignity of the individual
- The assessment of the client’s case consistently, clearly demonstrates that the client is viewed in a caring and respectful fashion
- The student demonstrates an ability to be mindful of individual differences and cultural and ethnic diversity.
- There is a masterful demonstration of the connection between each of the content areas – the content flows from one area to another with transitions
- The student uses a scholarly tone
- The student fully represents the vocabulary of the field
- The student uses good language conventions and mechanics with no errors in spelling, grammar, sentence structure, and/or punctuation.
- You will offer a reflection of the process of this assignment, challenges and concerns (up to 1 page of double spaced text)
- Your writing should be in APA style and include a title page and references page. Using first-person or “I” language is accepted for this assignment.
Co-Occurring Diagnosis Practice Ungraded, 100 Possible Points